Monday, July 7, 2008

Us vs. Them?

A visitor to this blog reports he went to his first tournament last week -- and promptly made his first final table, finishing 8th. Impressive! He's way ahead of me!

But his comment about it makes a point we should clarify:

None of the players I remember playing with came across as christian.

Agreed. I find very few of them act that way. Most seem to be there for the cash game $$ beyond the tournaments, to drink away the problems of the work day, have fun with their buddies, etc.

Until local churches start poker nights (I can think of a couple of big progressive ones right away, which ought to give it a try), all the tournaments are in "the world" to some degree or another.

Some ministers say going to smoky lounges for any reason is "a bad witness." But didn't Jesus go where the sinners were? As in, well, everywhere? (Matt. 9:13)

Jesus didn't let the world's sins pollute Him. Admittedly, that can be a challenge for some Christians -- and it's safe to say going to clubs for games is NOT for every believer. (Especially those with smoke-damaged lungs, or easily tempted by alcohol.)

But at least one preacher has said: if you want to catch fish, you go where they are. "Come, follow me.... and I will make you fishers of men." (Mk. 1:17)

So yes, I play poker -- but in a way, I'm also playing "go fish."

2 comments:

Soon To Change Blog Name said...

Nice post and point well taken but I would like to clarify that I never expected to be surrounded by anything less. You are also absolutely right when you speak about going "fish". A previous church I attended regularly for years was based out near Victory Drive in one of the worse parts of town hoping to draw in those needing god most.

Keep up the good work.

My Pal Al said...

Christian Poker Night. That's an interesting concept. I'm not sure how this would fly with the elder board. Anyways off to church basketball league.