Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Good things come to....

Online poker can be a strange thing. You never knew who will show up, or what sort of mood they'll be in. Here's an example from a Yahoo poker limit hold 'em we played Tuesday night.

BLINDS: $1/$2 (pretend money).

IN THE POCKET: K-2 of clubs. I call when my turn comes, and just about everyone else at this table of nine does.

ON THE FLOP: To be honest, I don't recall now -- because that's not the story here.

Everyone in Yahoo poker is "on the clock." If they don't play immediately, a countdown clock starts running -- and if it hits zero, you're automatically folded and tossed from the table.

A player ahead of me has the countdown clock reach 5 -- then apparently clicks the "thinking" button, which gives him more time. That player does it SEVERAL times.

"Boot him," one player writes in a comment.

After about a minute, the table host writes: "We're in limbo. I've booted him, but it isn't taking effect."

The other players grow tired of waiting, leaving the table without playing further. Even the table host walks out. Eventually it's down to me vs. Mr. Stall.

I plan to call sooner or later -- but the ultimate slow-player then folds! I win a $90 pot by default!

Someone once said poker is a game of patience. This is an example of it. A bizarre example, but an example.

"A man's wisdom gives him patience...." -- Prv. 19:11.

No comments: