Thursday, June 26, 2008

Poker Night #37: Flushed Out

"Gotta last till the color-up," someone at my table said Thursday night with the blinds at 200/400.

Easy for him to say. My chip stack was at about 2,000 and dropping. I took a couple of small pots, including one where nobody bit when I had spades in the hole for a flush. But I lost a lot of chips while holding pocket 2's -- when a pair of 7's appeared on the table, but a full house never did.

So it came time to take a stand, and at the least likely time -- in the big blind:

IN THE POCKET: Qh/Qd. The play called to me.

"I'm all in. 1,400."

Two players called me.

ON THE FLOP: Two hearts come out. No queens show up.

ON THE TURN: Another heart. My hopes increase in a different direction.

ON THE RIVER: Yet another heart. One of the remaining two players in the hand made a bet, and the other folded.

"My flush is a queen," I announce -- but alas, the opponent has an Ace of hearts. It cuts right through mine. I wind up 6th, out of 8 at my table -- about 17th place overall.

This was at a table where one hand led to three players making full houses. Two kings and two nines were on the board -- but while two players had the extra 9, one had the "King of Kings." (See a post below concerning that one.) This three-way full house happened for the second week in a row!

MINISTRY MOMENT: A young woman at my table was absolutely unimpressed by the classic country music coming from the jukebox. She went to pay for something more rockin', and a man to the left of me noticed.

"I like a wide range of music," I tell the man.

"So do I," he replies.

"You know what station has me hooked right now?" I tell him. "103.7 The Truth." We'll see if he tries it.

UPDATED SCOREBOARD: 17 final tables in 37 nights (45.9%) - 5 cashes.
YAHOO POKER TOTAL: $3,223 ($266 actually made playing blackjack Wed-Thu)

1 comment:

C said...

Richard, thanks for your post on my blog about poker and christianity.

I've decided to start a separate poker blog called [HotDip] which is an acronym for Hand of the Day in Poker

http://www.hotdip.us

Check it out when you get a chance and I'd love to get your feedback.