Tuesday, July 25, 2017

When a 2 Will Do

Poker's biggest tournament this year came down to two players - and a 2 of hearts.

Scott Blumstein may forever have A-2 attached to his name, the way 10-2 is to Doyle Brunson's. Blumstein called an all-in bet by Daniel Ott, who held A-8. The board didn't pair until that 2 of hearts came on the river - making Blumstein the World Series of Poker Main Event champion, winning more than $8 million.

Blumstein seemed quite humbled by his moment of victory. For one thing, he only had a seven percent chance of hitting that winning river card. Blumstein called it a "normally inconsequential" card.

Sometimes we make decisions that don't seem to matter, only to find they eventually do. That may really be the case at the end of our lives:
Then the King will say to those on his right, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." - Matthew 25:34-36


Jesus Christ, the coming "King of Kings," indicates His Kingdom will be given to those who do good deeds all the time. But the attitude goes beyond that....
Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and gave you something to drink?" - Matthew 25:37


It's as if the helpful, giving approach is second nature to them. They do it without much thought. But God sees and keeps track of it.

In Blumstein's case, it may have been as simple as letting people pay part of his $10,000 buy-in. Four people paid $60, and will wind up with more than $40,000. So much for "building wealth slowly" on Wall Street.

Blumstein had more to say about his win. We'll comment on what he said another day - but for now, we offer congratulations to poker's new "Ace," and his willingness to share the wealth. Even if he needed a deuce to do it.

No comments: