Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Praying About Playing

With the National Day of Prayer in the U.S. almost here, we asked in our last post about ways in which poker players should pray.  We think it goes far beyond hitting a "one-card out" on the river when you're all in.

With the NDP website as a guide, one good way to start is to pray for the people who have the power to decide whether you can play legally at all.
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone -- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. - I Timothy 2:1-2
State and national legislators have the authority to set rules for playing poker.  So do local and state gaming boards.

But note the wording of those verses.  We really should pray for everyone, that things may be "peaceful and quiet" when you play.  We've met some people who show up for poker night with an attitude that is quite the opposite -- and a few drinks served in bars can only make things worse.
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. - Matthew 5:44-45
These words of Jesus admittedly can be very hard to do.  It's easy to desire getting even with persecutors -- people who get on your nerves at the poker table, either with words or demeanor.  The King James adds those people might "despitefully use you."  Yet the Lord tells us to pray for them.  To help do that....
Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.... Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. - Psalm 51:2-3, 10
Yes, it means praying for yourself.  Pray for God to give you a proper spirit and heart, so you can be a good example during the game.  And last, but probably not least....
Pray continually. - I Thessalonians 5:17 
A prayerful attitude should be part of our lives all the time.  Not only on one designated day of prayer, and not only before a big poker tournament.  May God help you to develop such an attitude -- inside and outside the poker room.


No comments: