Friday, August 3, 2012

At the Crossroads

Irving is NOT his real name, but that's what we're calling him to protect his identity.  We met him at a poker tournament the other night.  He seemed to be new at poker -- but he told us about a trial in his life that's far too commonplace.

Irving apparently went to the game to escape the pain of a marital break-up.  He's separated from his wife of more than 25 years.  We didn't press for details about who did what to whom.  It was a moment to be a listening ear, not an investigative reporter or busybody....
Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave hem over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.... They are gossips, slanderers.... - Romans 1:28-30
Irving told us he's come to several crossroads, as he deals with this major change in his life -- much like the key decisions poker players face during a tournament.  But he said he's looked to God for help at all those points.  We were glad to hear that.  It's something everyone should do.
...Because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?" - Hebrews 13:5-6
We've faced our own personal challenges in recent years.  They truly can test your faith -- but we've realized ultimately, only God can provide the solutions.
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. - Psalm 121:1-2
Will you join us in praying for this man we're calling Irving?  Please pray that God will provide the comfort and wisdom he needs -- and help him learn whatever spiritual lessons God wants to teach him.

No comments: