Sunday, July 8, 2012

The 18-Million Dollar Man

The Main Event is starting this weekend at the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas.  But for a change, it is not the biggest tournament in the game -- at least not in terms of prize money.

Antonio Esfandiari won $18.3 million dollars this past week, in a new WSOP tournament called "The Big One for One Drop."  The buy-in was a whopping one million dollars.  (Which is why we're playing local free tournaments instead -- we do what we can afford.)

We were struck as much by the champion's interview as the grand prize.  Esfandiari comes across on television as one of the more mild-mannered, ego-condensed poker players.  Some of his quotes reflect that personality:

"You know, my style is to talk and have a good time at the poker table, I might as well enjoy my life, instead of sitting there and being bored. Because poker, as we all know, is boring sometimes. So, I was just trying to have a good time...."


We get picked on during online tournaments for being talkative, too (as in chat comments).  It's as if some players consider a poker room like an ancient cathedral, where you simply must be silent.  But if you don't enjoy what you're doing, will there really be joy in your moments of success?
So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad.  Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun. - Ecclesiastes 8:15
These words come from the wealthiest man of his time, King Solomon of Israel. He encouraged joyful living -- but where do find real joy?  Listen to Esfandiari again:


 I did some self-awareness work, and just kind of took things into perspective; you know, what was and what wasn’t important. And going out and partying at the end of the day, it really didn’t make me that happy. I loved it, don’t get me wrong. I kind of grew out of it. I’m 33 now and so I just decided to live a better life....


The older people get, the more their priorities can change.  Seek pleasure night after night from alcohol or drugs, and you're likely to discover eventually how those things ultimately are unfulfilling.
Listen, my son, and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path.  Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags. - Proverbs 23:19-21
But we hope Esfandiari realizes even an 18-million dollar payday can't buy real happiness....
For riches do not endure forever, and a crown is not secure for all generations. - Proverbs 27:24
True joy comes from having God's Holy Spirit inside you (Galatians 5:22).  And that leads us to one more eyebrow-raising quote:

If you fade this flush draw, you win the biggest tournament in history of the world. And that’s it. This is the moment. It’s here, right now. I was like please Jesus, this one time. And I’m pretty sure I used up all my one-times on this tournament, but I’m okay with that. 

Did you notice?  Esfandiari looked to Jesus at the biggest moment in his poker career.  So many people do that -- looking to God for help only at the most critical times.  It's better to develop a right relationship with God and Jesus, and have that at all times.
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  To him be glory both now and forever! Amen. - II Peter 3:18
So congratulations to "The Magician" -- and may you learn lessons from him, about life as well as poker.

No comments: