Tuesday, September 27, 2011

He's Three of a Kind?


We asked you to find the place in the Bible which came up in last Thursday night's poker game -- where a player claimed he was "the truth," and was corrected for it.

The correct answer: the gospel of John:

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. - John 14:6

Why did Jesus call Himself these things?  For starters, He's the "way" to a relationship with God the Father.  In fact, it's a two-way street:

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. - John 6:44

Jesus called Himself "the truth" because He spoke words of truth, given by His Father in heaven....

For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. - John 12:49 (see also Ephesians 4:21)

And Jesus declared Himself "the life" because He is the key to a life that never ends, beyond our physical bodies:

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him. - John 3:36

A special Holy Day on the Biblical calendar this week looks ahead to when Jesus will return, and give eternal life to those who believe in Him.  Jews call it "Rosh Hashanah;" observant Christians call it the Feast of Trumpets.


No comments: