Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Good, the Bad (and Maybe Even the Ugly)

At a recent local poker night, we told a man we were trying to do good -- but it wasn't easy. Sometimes the bad side wants to come out, and get in the way.

We asked if you knew what Bible passage we were referencing. It's located near the end of Romans 7.

For I have the desire to do good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do -- this I keep on doing. - Romans 7:18b-19


Can you relate to the apostle Paul? We certainly can. Some bad habits and sins simply refuse to go away, and can take years or decades to overcome. It seemed to frustrate Paul so much that he continued to write....

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? - Romans 7:24


In other words: if you're plagued by bad habits at the poker table until your dying day, are you doomed? Thankfully, Paul answers that question:

Thanks be to God -- through Jesus Christ our Lord! - Romans 7:25


Jesus can deliver us from this sin-plagued body, and give us a new everlasting spiritual body. (Paul explains this in I Corinthians 15:42-52). But it starts with the realization that we need God's help in turning from bad to good.

Or despise you the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? - Romans 2:4 (KJV)


Whatever your "bad thing" is that keeps you from doing "good things," be humble enough to admit it to God in prayer. Seek the help of His Holy Spirit in turning your life into something better -- something which will glorify God, and not be an insult to Him. That's a "turn" which can make all the difference in your life.

No comments: