Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Out of Bounds

As the weekly championship of National League of Poker unfolded Sunday night, an opening came for an uplifting discussion. From the online chat:

Lollipop: lets get wiskey bent n hell bound
Me: One of those is a country band.
Lollipop: lol
yaketty_yak: woohoo now thats an idea lol
Me: The other.... I'd rather see Jesus someday....
yaketty_yak: good answer flopb
Lollipop: lol
yaketty_yak: i just want a starter lol
Me: Thank you. Hopefully it's everyone's answer. :-)


This may sound strange, but the King James Bible indicates everyone is "hell bound." That "H-word" does not refer to Dante's Inferno, though....

Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; my flesh shall also rest in hope. For you will not leave my soul in hell; neither will you suffer your Holy One to see corruption. -- Psalm 16:9-10

What is King David talking about here? The Hebrew word for "hell" here actually can be translated "the world of the dead" or "grave" (translated that way in Psalm 88:3 and Ecclesiastes 9:10, among other places). So David is expressing hope of a resurrection from the dead. And that's when believers will see Jesus -- one way or another:

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. -- John 14:3


Come to think of it, these words of Christ remind us of poker. He'll "see us" when He returns -- and "raise us" from the dead!

In fact, John 5:28-30 indicates everyone will be resurrected -- some to eternal life, and some to a judgment of condemnation. We'd rather see Jesus under happier circumstances. Now that's really a "good answer."

No comments: